Global Organic Textile Standard
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) - "ensures the organic status of textiles from harvesting of the raw materials through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing all the way to labelling in order to provide credible assurance to the consumer" - you can read on the official website of the Global Organic Textile Standard Organization.
The criteria for certification cover farming (fibre production), processing, manufacturing, packaging, labelling, trading and distribution of textiles made from at least 70% certified organic natural fibres.
KEY CERTIFICATION CRITERIA *
- Organic certification of farming (IFOAM family of standards, EEC 834/2007, USDA NOP);
- A textile product carrying the GOTS label grade "organic" must contain a minimum of 95% certified organic fibres whereas a product with the label grade "made with organic" must contain a minimum of 70% certified organic fibres.
Processing and Manufacturing:
- At all stages organic fibre products must be separated from conventional fibre products;
- All chemical inputs (e.g. dyes, auxiliaries and process chemicals) must meet basic requirements on toxicity and biodegradability;
- Prohibition of critical inputs such as toxic heavy metals, formaldehyde, aromatic solvents, functional nano particles, genetically modified organisms (GMO) and their enzymes;
- The use of synthetic sizing agents is restricted; knitting and weaving oils must not contain heavy metals;
- Bleaches must be based on oxygen (no chlorine bleaching);
- Azo dyes that release carcinogenic amine compounds are prohibited;
- Discharge printing methods using aromatic solvents and plastisol printing methods using phthalates and PVC are prohibited;
- All operators must have an environmental policy including target goals and procedures to minimise waste and discharges;
- Wet processing units must keep full records of the use of chemicals, energy, water consumption and waste water treatment. The waste water from all wet processing units must be treated in a functional treatment plant;
- Packaging material must not contain PVC. Paper or cardboard used in packaging material etc. must be recycled or certified according to FSC or PEFC.
Social criteria based on the key norms of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) must be met by all processors and manufacturers.
- Employment is freely chosen;
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining are respected;
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic;
- Child labour must not be used;
- Living wages;
- Working hours are not excessive;
- No discrimination is practised;
- Regular employment is provided;
- Harsh or inhumane treatment is prohibited.
* FROM LA MILLA: All the presented (above) information come from the official website of the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). It is not a full list of certification's criteria, but our choice of the most important information. For all data go to the GOTS ORG site.
LA MILLA - Only Ethical and Sustainable ECO Fair Fashion